Friday, November 14, 2008

Tradition

The things in my life that are tradition were just randomly started and somehow became tradition. A-Day game at Alabama. We cant miss it. It would break tradition. How we spend Sunday after church, holiday plans...etc. I have to decide what things are tradition vs which things are just quirky comforts that I can't let go of. Like what hotel we stay at ( Thanksgiving trip to the beach we have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Destin with ocean view 9th floor. Our trip is ruined if it is not available), drinking fountain diet coke everytime we go to any restaraunt, or taking this particular picture at this particular spot every year on this date. It may not technically be a tradition but I am going to do it! Like this picture we have taken every year at this spot the 4th of July. But this year was the baby's first year obviously so she is automatically included in the 'tradition'. Thanksgiving is in 2weeks and we have a "tradition" of going to Ft Walton the weekend after and meeting my mother and father-in-law for Beach Santa with the girls. It is the worst setup ever. The background decorations that is. All you can mostly see anyways is the throne for Santa. In one picture there is a rather large woman's backside in the background. Ha! But we do it every year, no matter what. It starts with a trip to Dilliard's to pick out an outfit and shoes for Savannah and then to do pictures, fuss over them and then to get lunch. Last year the iron bowl (BIG DEAL around here!) was that same Saturday and Sam and my husband went back to the condo to watch it while we got lunch. It fell on the same day this year to so I said it looks like you guys will be leaving us again. My husband calls to tell me he has been offered a ticket to this years Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa! yay! Oh wait....the tradition! Ruined. Im sad... but what can I say? My point of view. Traveling the long drive by myself with 2kids, one of which is 6 months/ Who will Sam watch the game with?/ He will miss Sara Faith's first time meeting Santa/ IT'S TRADITION!!!!

His point of view. AL is undefeated for the first time in ? years (he could tell you)/ It is at home in Tusc./ Auburn sucks this year and AL has not beat them in 6years. / sitting at the mall miserable knowing he could have been at the game. /There will be next year. /This was HER tradition

(...oooh:(....)

I will not fuss about it. He should go. I know that. But it is tradition and now he has missed a year. Does this set the precidence to miss again. Or to miss something else. Should it be as important to him? it will still be a lot of fun and maybe it was always about Savannah (and now Sara Faith) myself and Dea. Honestly Sam was probably miserable hanging around the mall and he would roll his eyes at me if he knew I was even thinking about not wanting Michael to go to that game.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! What a great surprise. You were right on with their likes (or loves) changing so frequently ... esp. with girls. My thirteen yr. old has had so many different rooms that I can't even remember them all. I'm leaning toward cowboy too. I'll probably keep the bedding and paint neutral for easy changes though.
Oh, I do think boys are easier in this area. My five yr. old couldn't care less how his room is decorated. It's just a place to sleep for him. :)
Good luck with the jungle theme.