Sunday, December 7, 2008

Friends Come and Go!

Actually they don't. Not real friends. I think you always retain a bond and there is no go. I mean a meaningful true friendship is based on love and commonalities. That just doesn't go away. I have a small number of friends that I have known forever and still keep in touch with. But they are the ones I want to keep up with. When I see who they have become as adults and look at their families it's like looking at extended family that I just don't get to see enough. Barbra is 6 hours older than me. We have known each other since we were 8. We did not start out as best friends. In fact there were some rocky times back in the day. She used to be my step-sister for a time but we like to just say sisters. No 'ex' in there! She hunts, hates purses, loves to be barefoot at all times (even at her graduation) and she is so strong on the outside but easily hurt. She has loyalty that is oddly placed at times but genuin. I get her. She gets me. Her inlaws ignore who she is and get her frilly purses with her name monogramed on them, and really girly things that she will never use. (Sometimes I do benefit from her givaways though so no complaining here:) But seriously I love this girl! When I am hurting she will be there. She is not my best friend. My husband is. He is who I can confide in and be totally vulnerable with. But she GETS me.



This all came about as I was posting this picture of my husband, and his two best friends from childhood (since childhood rather) David and Joel. There are a couple more guys in their 'group' of comrades but these three go back the longest. Pre-school!!!! They know more about his past than I ever will..or should! After months of being to busy to catch up (or in Iraq, for that matter) they still just click right back where they left off. They are the family that is better than family. They have grown together, apparently (I found out this weekend) been in lots of trouble together, talked about goals, realized dreams, lost friends, and everything that makes them as close as they are. My husband would not want me writing about him or his friends but I am so taken aback by this. I have never seen men with these relationships, I guess or maybe I just have an inside advantage view now. We were leaving for church this morning as Joel and Therese were packing to leave for Memphis. Joel tells Michael (Pirt) he has a really nice house and he is proud of him for doing Lord's supper at church, Pirt says, "I love you man. Drive safely." "I love you, too Pirt." This girl is tearing up. Therese and I exchange an understanding glance. Last night David came by to see Joel before he headed to Memphis, Waco then Cali. They played Playstation 3 and then we all played Wii. David kept "soaking in" Pirt with the baby. He says he couldn't have pictured the way everything turned out. Pirt is married, with a step-daughter and a new baby. Joel is married, just eturned from Iraq, on his way to CA, and just found out he has a baby on the way. David just got engaged to (haha)Joel's step-sister. He doesn't know what he thinks about that yet. He shrugged and said, "Well, you are always hangingout at my parents on holidays anyways."


I would say their friendship is solid, unconditional, and still young. Apparently they have worked out a plan for Sara Faith to marry their son (Joel just knows it is a boy) then they will all be real family ;) But I can't help but wonder if that would possiby ever make the friendship contrived???

No comments: