Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Always Worth It!

What a slogan! Is it really? Of all the things beer is associated with, I wonder if someone in jail for drunk driving would agree? Or someone who has lost their family. Lost a scholarship? A job? It is not just someone's opinion, or a cute little saying. It is the actual marketing strategy for selling beer! By saying "worth it" it is implying loss. Loss of the money to purchase it? Loss of your inhibitions? Loss of the things mentioned above? In my husbands case - Loss of potential kidney stones? His Urologist says drinking a beer a day prevents those and other problems. ONE a day, mind you. I guess it's just crazy to me to think that someone had to think it was a good idea, then someone had to approve it and have it stamped on those labels and shipped; all the while thinking if people hear that it is Always worth it, they will buy it. Ugh. I would bet that even someone who is known for drinking a case a day even would say it is certainly not ALWAYS worth it!
Speaking of my cousins mom's friends boyfriend's daughter... just kidding but seriously my ex-husband's cousin is currently being charged with murder. You guessed it :Drunk Driving. Nice boy. He does come across as a little spoiled and self centered but has always been polite to me and let's not have someone judge how we acted in our early 20's. I will say that!
He was no criminal. He isnt a theif, liar, rapist or even a hurtful person. He is a son, and a loving older brother. A college student who loves the nightlife! I would say that right about now, as he is waiting to hear his fate that will change the coarse of his life in a very bad way (not to mention to wear the name of Killer but to live with the fact that someone lost their life on account of this one stupid decision), he would very much agree that it is not ALWAYS worth it!
I found this when my daughter (6 years old) mentioned she thought her dad (we're divorced) was drinking beer IN THE CAR! She described it as a brown glass bottle with a blue sideways oval and white letters. I think we can rule out root beer now. Epecially when she said I could smell it. That is another new story altogether.
When they say divorce is harder than death, i can understand the idea of dealing with the unfaithfulness or the rejection, failure. Now I see that if you have children, your marrital failure affects them in the worst way. I am envious of people who can remain civil and enjoy the kids growing up still getting to share those moments although seperately. It is just so hard to do when the ex cannot quit drinking, girling around, and showing off how cool he is to his 6 year old; not to mention promising her he would never spank her and threatening me and my husband (who does parent her and provide for her unlike the I'll give a hundred every few months no good Fun -Dad) when we do punish her how we see fit. I will have to do a whole seperate post on The Lessors. After all they deserve it!

No comments: