Monday, August 9, 2010

kid-proofing.

Most Adults can't open the cabinets at my house. When Sara Faith was born, Savannah was 6 so nothing was baby-proofed. But we didn't even think about it again until SF was moving around. Then the husband went a little overboard (as with everything) and proofed EVERYTHING. When it is time for us to move I don't know what we will do with all this. SF got to where she would open and shut the hall door *SO annoying! So he gets the baby-proof handle. Now no one could open it so we ended up having to take the whole doorknob off!

I don't even remember what all we got, but it was a lot! I guess your typical stuff is
  1. cabinet locks,
  2. those door handle things,
  3. plug covers,
  4. and of coarse the potty lock.

Really I have never seen anyone with one of those. We just got in a good habit of shutting the door. I love the scene from Baby Mama where Amy Poehler pees in the sink

We have had no major mishaps but we are NOT the standard for anything parental. Well, actually, this one time... hahaha
Savannah was taking piano lessons so that would be 4 years ago :( when she was in K4. She had this keyboard in the dining room for practicing. I was making dinner and she said it stopped working. The plug was bad about falling out so I told her it probably fell out but hold on and I'll fix it. Savannah doesn't hold on. Even now. She seems to miss those words. Anyways there was a flash, pop and the power is out. Savannah screams "Mom! That plug just took a BLUE picture of me!


I'm not saying don't baby-proof. Just parents (new ones) get over zealous about it. And that's OK. It's all super important!


But I think equally as important is --- babyproofing your things. so they are safe from baby!


Seriously, everything we own pretty much has no value except for the function it provides. Maybe yardsale quality now. SF just this morning brought me the letter 'I from my laptop. It popped right back in place but is a little crooked. I can't go through everything but I am so glad my couch is not white! Kids can be a little sneaky so I learned about most of it when we were analyzing the house top-to-bottom because we were getting ready to list it to sell. Coloring behind doors. Savannah's grafiti on the windowsil behind her bed. (which is still there)




It is hard to read but says "SavannahILov" She used to write that all the time in K'garten. Or she would write "MomILov" Weird, but sweet therefore still there.




They look so innocent But the little one is the worst. We usually call her "The Little Destroyer!" or lately "Stinkerbell" which is unrelated but too cute :)


No comments: