Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lunch Ideas?

We have the hardest time thinking of new lunch ideas. And my family complains when they feel like they eat the same thing everyday. They are they same way about dinner :/
Savannah and I decided she should take her lunch this year instead of buying at school. I can still put money on her account for those days we are running late or she leaves her lunch in the car, etc. There will be many of those. However, for the most part we are doing it at home. So I am making menus. Not for everyday really. Just ideas in general. I love the idea of pre-packaged items; whether we stay up and do it or we buy it that way, it is a must! But NOT read NOT lunchables. Those are OK for Sara Faith but Savannah is like "Where is the rest?"


Now I usually compare prices so as not to spend way more on something that could easily just be made/devided up by us. For example, those crustable sandwiches are very good, but a little costly. And we pretty much got the sandwich thing down. In fact, because of a great idea from a friend of mine, Jane, who packs lunch for 3 kids, herself and her husband (Now those are the people you don't turn down advice from!), we make several sanwiches and freeze them. I don't know about mayo because her fam, nor my hubby like it and Savannah doesn't really care. So we just do mustard or pb&j.

We go shopping for Publix BOGO on bread. (on most things actually) I really like the pita flat bread but we use wheat too. It just wasn't on sale this week ;) We just go shopping and on Sunday night all 3 of us make a ton to last. Well, sometimes my husband helps but he goes to bed early. I believe Jane and her fam make their sandwiches for the whole month. We pack bags of carrots, trailmix, grapes, and apple slices (love the core slicer!) That little packet is ranch dip for the carrots. Otherwise there will be wasted carrots. Sad but true. Usually we have randoms things of ranch and honey mustard from like chik-fil-A or Arby's but not today. The pre-packaged Craisins and raisons are not anymore expensive so I just buy those. And I love those big bags of individual chips. She doesn't take them everyday but when they do, they will have choices. I am not a health nut so it doesn't bother me but at least I'm not sending her with a coke, right? I like to make myself feel better. Anywhoo.. another Lisa P. approved lunch is tacos. Sometimes we do taco Sunday from Taco Bell. SO? Savannah heats them up in the morning wraps them in tinfoil and they are perfect at lunch. You can see Jello in the pic and I really like to make the sugar-free kind. One of the few sugar-free deserts that really do tastes good --so take advantage you know? But I need to get some better plastic bowl/lids first. See the pb&j? She likes me to cut it but MY child likes the crust. So it stays. Some times I use cookie cutters to be fun and give the ends to the babies. They loves it!

I almost for about the pickles. My fam eats these a lot. I asked her if it made her lunch smell but she says no. so OK!

This little soup cup is awesome! When it starts getting cold we are some soup makin' people! Taco soup, enchilada soup, Chicken n dumplings, vege soup--- you get it. Heat the leftovers really hot in the morning and by lunch it is perfectly warm :) Throw in some crackers and a bottle water mostly froozen with a pack of crystal light. But of coarse plain is good too. These are what we have so far. I am trying to keep a better inventory than I did last year -- which was why we ended up with more bought school lunches. New school year = new school year resolutions hmmm?
What are your lunch ideas? healthy? quick? cheap? whatev!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those yogurt in the tube, fruit cups, pudding pots. I usually take leftovers for lunch or go across to the hospital for a sandwich (and I get an NHS staff discount oh yea!)

lisa-rie said...

I love hospital food. not all of it. But most of it! Forgot about the yogurt and fruit cups. awesome!